Looking Local has a national partnership with Transport Direct which allows people to use their award winning service on DiTV, mobile phone or via the Wii. Accessing this key national service offering the latest traffic and travel news as well as journey planning on trains and buses is essential to people across the country whether going on a short trip or planning something bigger. This partnership brings key travel information to Looking Local users whether on the go or before they leave home.
On top of this national service, transport executives across Yorkshire and the Midlands are realising the benefits of DiTV and mobile delivery and are providing a range of real time services on Looking Local; everything from information on bus passes to bus tracking and journey planning.
Bus information is key to people, particularly in rural areas where buses are less frequent and where journeys take longer. By using satellite tracking, South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive and Network West Midlands/Centro are able to give accurate, up-to-the-minute information on where each bus is on its journey. Both these organisations have partnered with Looking Local and using the XML plugin schema seamlessly provide their information on DiTV and mobile without having to manage additional platforms or technologies.
- Integration with the leading transport information system delivered by the DfT
- A large number of services have a travel element and links to national and local systems can be created throughout individual sites
- Integration with back end systems avoiding duplication
- Offering citizens the benefits of local strategic partnerships and their services
- Services are updated frequently throughout the day
- Live travel and traffic news - local and national
- Journey planning for trains and buses
- Bus tracking from the comfort of the sofa (Yorkshire & West Midlands) simply by inserting the postcode or bus-stop number
- Ability to request a personalised journey plan to be sent through the mail as well as detailed information on tickets, park and ride, Traveline (Yorkshire)
- Free on DiTV, available 24/7 and accessible on the go on mobile phones and on the Wii
- Easy to navigate, accessibility and usability tested and specifically designed for each device
"We are keen to see public transport information on interactive television services as the technology is so wide spread. Often people are more comfortable using a television than they are a computer, as a result it was an obvious choice as a method of providing information. We need to provide information to the whole population, not just a select few, and are keen to ensure that we do everything we can to ensure that we do not widen the divide that exists in many areas of life between those with access to the internet and those that don't."